Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
synod (plural synods)
- An ecclesiastic council or meeting to consult on church matters.
- An administrative division of churches, either the entire denomination, as in the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, or a mid-level division (middle judicatory, district) as in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- An assembly or council having civil authority; a legislative body.
- It hath in solemn synods been decreed.
- Parent of gods and men, propitious Jove! And you, bright synod of the powers above.
- (astronomy) A conjunction of two or more of the heavenly bodies.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Milton to this entry?)
Usage notes 
Usage differs between different churches – see uses in different Communions.
Derived terms 
ecclesiastic council or meeting
- synod (an ecclesiastic council or meeting to consult on church matters)