take the cake
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic, US) To be especially good or outstanding.
- Thanks! You guys take the cake.
- Once the party was over, everyone agreed that Elizabeth and her Harriet Tubman getup had taken the cake.
- (idiomatic, US) To be particularly bad, objectionable, or egregious.
- I've seen bad grammar, but this takes the cake.
- (to be good or outstanding)): steal the show
- (to be particularly bad or egregious): take the biscuit (British)
to be especially bad