Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To negotiate a lower price.
- If he offers a very high price, see if you can talk him down before you agree to anything.
- (idiomatic) To speak condescendingly or as though the listener is inferior.
- She didn't like how he talked down to her as though she didn't understand.
- (flying) To tell an airplane passenger (who has had no flight training) step by step by two-way radio how to land the plane, e.g. if its pilot has become incapacitated while flying.
- The Cessna's pilot had a heart attack while flying, and his non-flying passenger had to be talked down by Air Traffic Control.