Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Temperance
Alternative forms 
See etymology of "to temper".
Audio (US) (file)
temperance (plural temperances)
- Habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; moderation; as, temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth; specifically, moderation, and sometimes abstinence, in respect to using intoxicating liquors.
- Moderation of passion; patience; calmness; sedateness.
- One of the seven heavenly virtues.
- (obsolete) State with regard to heat or cold; temperature.
- (tarot) temperance; the fourteenth trump or major arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks.
Coordinate terms 
Related terms 
Derived terms 
terms derived from the noun temperance
moderation of passion
state with regard to heat or cold — see temperature
See also