Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- I hold, have; grasp.
- I possess, occupy, control.
- I watch, guard, maintain, defend; retain, keep.
- I reach, attain; gain, acquire, obtain.
- I hold fast, restrain, detain, check, control; bind, fetter.
- (reflexive) I keep back, remain, stay, hold position.
- I know, grasp, understand, conceive.
- I recollect, retain knowledge of, remember, bear in mind.
- I insist, uphold.
- (of laws) I am binding on; bind, hold, obligate.
- I comprise, contain, include, hold.
Usage notes 
The supine form tentum occurs only in compound verbs.
- (have): habeō
Derived terms 
- teneo in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879