- (obsolete) To cut through; to pierce.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Piers Plowman to this entry?)
- (mining, obsolete) To cut through, as a partition between one working and another.
thurl (plural thurls)
- A hole; an aperture.
- (mining) A short communication between adits in a mine.
- (mining) A long adit in a coalpit.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.