Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
tinderbox (plural tinderboxes)
- A small container containing flint, steel, and tinder (dry, finely-divided fibrous matter), once used to help kindle a fire.
- 2007 The Tinderbox, Stephen Mitchell, p. 5
- "Just bring me the old tinderbox that my grandmother forgot the last time she went down there."
- (by extension) a place that is so dry and hot that there is danger of fire.
- 2010 Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling, L. K. Ludwig, p. 30
- "Think of your blank journal as a tinderbox, a box for holding combustible materials, ready to catch fire when you sit down to work."
- (by extension) a potentially dangerous situation.
- 2010 Sagebrush Or Gold Dust: The True Story of the Haskell Family, H. S. Haskell, p. 291
- "This act was the "match that ignited the great tinderbox of fuel" that had been building for years between many of the countries in Europe."
small container containing flint, steel, and tinder