Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To allow (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) to exist or occur without interference.
- I like the way he plays the guitar, but I can't tolerate his voice when he sings.
- I can tolerate working on Saturdays, but not on Sundays.
to allow without interference
- tolerate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- tolerate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- tolerate at OneLook Dictionary Search
- present adverbial passive participle of toleri
- second-person plural present active imperative of tolerō "bear ye, endure ye, tolerate ye"
- vocative masculine singular of tolerātus