Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- transexual (rare)
- (of a person) Being a transsexual.
being a transsexual
transsexual (plural transsexuals)
- One who has changed or is in the process of changing their physical sex (because it did not match their desired sex) by undergoing medical treatment such as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and/or sex reassignment surgery (SRS).
1995, To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar:
- When a man is a woman trapped in a man's body, and has a little operation, he is a transsexual.
- a. 1998, Myra Love, Reality’s Friends, excerpted in Gertrude M. James Gonzalez and Anne J. M. Mamary (editors), Cultural Activisms: Poetic Voices, Political Voices, SUNY Press (1999), ISBN 978-0-7914-3965-4, page 107:
- He claimed that they had this wonderful and loving relationship in which the transsexual-to-be had felt that his suitor truly loved him the way he was and didn’t want him to have the surgery, […]
- 2003 December 9, Kitty Fine, “How to Tell If Your Fella Wants to Be a Woman!”, in Weekly World News, ISSN 0199-574X, page 14:
- Hundreds of women every year are taken completely by surprise when their husbands announce they want to undergo sex-change surgery — and the news is even more shocking when comes, as it often does, from a burly he-man who’d given no clue to his inner girl. ¶ But the signs are definitely there if your husband is dreaming of becoming a transsexual, says a new study by a top sexologist.
- a. 2006, anonymous, “My Husband’s Secret”, in Grandma Joy, Grandma Joy's Hope for Hurting Women: Healing the Wounds of the Past and Gaining Hope for the Future, Destiny Image Publishers (2006), ISBN 978-0-7684-2351-8, page 133:
- He was wearing women’s clothes before he had the surgery; then, he actually became a transsexual, and they (amazingly) stayed together.
- It may be inappropriate to refer to or describe a transsexual person as "a transsexual"; compare "a black", "a gay". "A transsexual man" (for a man who is biologically female, or was biologically female prior to sex reassignment) or "a transsexual woman" (for the reverse) is frequently more appropriate.
person whose gender identity did not match his/her birth sex, and who therefore is changing or has changed sex
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Transsexualism on Wikipedia.en.Wikipedia:Transsexualism
- Lynn Conway's website on transsexuality
- Andrea James' web resources for gender transition
transsexual m, f (masculine and feminine plural transsexuals)
transsexual m, f (plural transsexuals)