Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An English dessert made from a mixture of thick custard, fruit, sponge cake, jelly and whipped cream.
- An insignificant amount.
1928, Lawrence R. Bourne, chapter 17, Well Tackled!:
- Commander Birch was a trifle uneasy when he found there was more than a popple on the sea; it was, in fact, distinctly choppy. Strictly speaking, he ought to have been following up the picket–boat, but he was satisfied that the circumstances were sufficiently urgent for him to take risks.
- Anything that is of little importance or worth.
- Trifles light as air / Are to the jealous confirmation strong / As proofs of holy writ.
- with such poor trifles playing
- A particular kind of pewter.
- (uncountable) Utensils made from this particular kind of pewter.
- (insignificant amount): iota, jot, scrap, whit
- (thing of little importance or worth): bagatelle, minor detail, whiffle
thing of little importance or worth
utensils made from this kind of pewter
- (intransitive) To deal with something as if it were of little importance or worth.
- (intransitive) To act, speak, or otherwise behave with jest.
- (intransitive) To inconsequentially toy with something.
- (transitive) To squander or waste.
To deal with something as if it were of little importance or worth
To act, speak, or otherwise behave with jest
To inconsequentially toy with something
To squander or waste