Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From twi- meaning two or both.
twice (not comparable)
- Two times.
- 1934, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
- Santa Claus is coming to town. / He’s making a list, / And checking it twice, / He’s gonna find out who’s naughty or nice. / Santa Claus is coming to town.
- (nonstandard, proscribed) Half, used in phrases like twice as less (meaning "half as much").
1826, John Nicholson, The Operative Mechanic, and British Machinist: Being a Practical Display of the Manufactories and Mechanical Arts of the United Kingdom, volume 1, H.C. Carey & I. Lea, page 78:
- Thus it appears that if the machine is turning twice as slow as before, there is more than twice the former quantity in the rising buckets; and more will be raised in a minute by the same expenditure of power.
1896, Livingston Stone, Domesticated Trout: How to Breed and Grow Them, edition fourth, page 304:
- You can't get anything thinner than a spring shad, unless you take a couple of them, when, of course, they will be twice as thin.
2010, Julia Ain-krupa, Roman Polanski: A Life in Exile, ABC-CLIO, page 31:
- Standing in the lower portion of the boat, he apologizes while Krystyna paces above him, saying that he's just like Andrzej, “only half his age and twice as dumb.”
- In a doubled quantity or extent.
- To a doubled degree.