Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
ultimate (not comparable)
- Final; last in a series.
- (of a syllable) Last in a word or other utterance.
- Being the greatest possible; maximum; most extreme.
- the ultimate pleasure
- the ultimate disappointment
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page vii
- Hepaticology, outside the temperate parts of the Northern Hemisphere, still lies deep in the shadow cast by that ultimate "closet taxonomist," Franz Stephani—a ghost whose shadow falls over us all.
- Being the most distant or extreme; farthest.
- That will happen at some time; eventual.
- Last in a train of progression or consequences; tended toward by all that precedes; arrived at, as the last result; final.
- those ultimate truths and those universal laws of thought which we cannot rationally contradict
- Incapable of further analysis; incapable of further division or separation; constituent; elemental.
- an ultimate constituent of matter
- (w.r.t. causes): proximate
- (adjectives denoting syllables): penultimate (last but one), antepenultimate (last but two), preantepenultimate (last but three), propreantepenultimate (last but four)
last or final in a series
last in a word or other utterance
greatest or maximum
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
ultimate (plural ultimates)
- The most basic or fundamental of a set of things
- The final or most distant point; the conclusion
- The greatest extremity; the maximum
- (uncountable) The sport of ultimate frisbee.
- ultimate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- ultimate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- second-person plural present indicative of ultimare
- second-person plural imperative of ultimare
- feminine plural of ultimato