Borrowed from Latin umbo
- Rhymes: -ʌmbəʊ
- (biology) A boss, or rounded elevation, or a corresponding depression, in a palate, disk, or membrane; as, the umbo in the integument of the larvæ of echinoderms or in the tympanic membrane of the ear.
- (zoology) One of the lateral prominence just above the hinge of a bivalve shell.
- (mycology) A bump or protrusion on the top of the cap.
- (historical) The boss of a shield, at or near the middle, and usually projecting, sometimes in a sharp spike.
Derived terms 
See also 
- shape (appearance or outline)
This Swahili entry was created from the translations listed at shape. It may be less reliable than other entries, and may be missing parts of speech or additional senses. Please also see umbo in the Swahili Wiktionary. This notice will be removed when the entry is checked. (more information) July 2009