Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA: /ˈʌpə/, X-SAMPA: /"Vp@/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˈʌpɚ/, X-SAMPA: /"Vp@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʌpə(r)
upper (plural uppers)
- That which is higher, contrasted with the lower.
- As the restless sleeper here, I'll take the lower berth. You take the upper.
- (shoemaking) The piece of leather, etc., that forms the top part of a shoe above the sole.
- A stimulant such as amphetamine that increases energy and decreases appetite.
- (shoemaking): vamp
upper (not comparable)
- At a higher level, rank or position.
- Situated on higher ground, further inland, or more northerly.
- (geology, of strata or geological time periods) younger, more recent
- (education) Of or pertaining to a secondary school.
Derived terms 
at a higher level, rank or position
situated on higher ground, further inland, or more northerly
of a later division of some period
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Related terms 
- on one's uppers — destitute