Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The stalk of a plant.
- The handle of many tools. In order to be called varsi, the handle needs to be longish in shape. An axe and a hammer have varsi, but a knife has kahva.
- An arm in the sense of any structure that resembles a human arm.
- The part of a boot or a sock which covers the leg or part of it.
- A stem of a tobacco pipe, or a musical note.
- (technology) Usually compounded with a defining beginning, a rod
- As the last part of a compound word, refers to some parts of a human body (see related terms below).
- (rare) The human body when discussed from a structural point of view, the figure.
- As the last part of a compound word, refers to an area considered to be close to a waterway or a traffic route, a side.
- In cases referring to location, used like a postposition to refer to passing of time or a journey, along, during or in the course of; see: varressa, varresta, varteen, varrella, varrelta, varrelle.
- matkan varrella = along the road
- pitkän elämäni varrella = during my long life
- vuosien varrella = in the course of many years
- As the first part of a compound word, indicates that the object is equipped with a stalk, an arm or similar.
- human body