Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɛltə(ɹ)
welter (plural welters)
- (intransitive) to roll; to wallow
- (intransitive, sometimes figuratively) to be soaked or steeped in.
- When we welter in pleasures and idleness, then we eat and drink with drunkards.
- These wizards welter in wealth's waves.
- the priests at the altar […] weltering in their blood
- To rise and fall, as waves; to tumble over, as billows.
- the weltering waves
- waves that, hardly weltering, die away
- through this blindly weltering sea
- Of horsemen, heavyweight; as, a welter race.
Compare wilt (intransitive verb).
welter m (invariable)