Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (colloquial) Unexceptional or unimportant; blah.
- (postpositive) At all, absolutely, whatsoever.
- There is no point whatever in going on with this discussion.
- No matter which; for any
- Whatever choice you make, there will be consequences.
- (relative) Anything that.
- Whatever you say is fine with me.
- 1734, Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
- And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite, One truth is clear, whatever is, is right.
- 1992, Rudolf M. Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, page viii
- Whatever utility the work may have outside of its stated boundaries will be largely because of such a nonprovincial approach.
no matter which; for any
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (colloquial, dismissive) A holophrastic expression used discourteously to indicate that the speaker does not consider the matter worthy of further discussion.
- Parent: For the last time, clean up your room!
- Child: Whatever.
- Tone of voice is particularly important here in playing up or playing down the dismissive quality of the word.
indicating the matter is not worthy of further discussion
- Anything; used to indicate that the speaker does not care about options.
- I'll do whatever I can.
- Do you want Chinese or Mexican for lunch today? — Whatever.
- no matter what