Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (colloquial, chiefly Internet) To explain (something) condescendingly to one who is not Caucasian, especially regarding race relations or minority behavior, presuming the listener's inferior understanding because of their race.
2010 January 28, Justine Larbalestier, “Mansplaining”, Justine Larbalestier, accessed on 2012-05-26:
- It’s called whitesplaining and often involves a white person explaining to a person of colour how they are wrong about something being racist. Often the whitesplainer will twist things around so much in the process of their whitesplaining that they wind up “demonstrating” to the person of colour how they are in fact racist for having brought up the subject of racism.
2013 April 16, Page, Clarence quoting Urban Dictionary, “Rand Paul ‘whitesplaining’ for Howard students”, New Haven Register:
- Rand Paul whitesplained to students at Howard University that a black Republican founded the NAACP.
2014 February 17, Goldberg, Michelle, “Feminism's Toxic Twitter Wars”, The Nation:
- One self-described white feminist tweeted at her to explain that no women of color had been at the Barnard meeting "and that I needed to be educated about that," Wilson recalls. Somehow, activists who prided themselves on their racial enlightenment "were whitesplaining me about racism," she adds, laughing.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see the citations page.