Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /wɜːks/
- (General American) IPA(key): /wɝks/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)ks
- plural form of .
- (plural only) A mechanism or machine; the means by which something happens.
- A stray wrench can really gum up the works.
- (plural only) A factory or factories, or similar collection(s) of buildings.
- The steel works almost fills the valley.
- (plural only, with "the") Everything or everything that is available or possible; especially, all available toppings on food.
- I'll have a Behemoth Burger with the works.
- (plural only, with "the") Drastic treatment; abuse; the axe (dismissal).
- Why did Constantinople get the works?
- (plural only) Acts associated with moral or religious standing.
- His works displayed his righteousness.
Terms derived from works
Everything or everything that is available or possible; especially, all available toppings on food
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of work