Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive, construed with for) To long, have a strong desire (for something).
- All I yearn for is a simple life.
- (intransitive, construed with for) To long for something in the past with melancholy, nostalgically
- (intransitive) To be pained or distressed; to grieve; to mourn.
- Falstaff he is dead, and we must yearn therefore.
- (transitive) To pain; to grieve; to vex.
- It would yearn your heart to see it.
- It yearns me not if men my garments wear.
to have a strong desire; to long
to long for something in the past with melancholy
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See yearning (“rennet”).