Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The term gal is generally restricted to girls, as in Was that a guy or a girl?, but the form you gals may be used for groups of any combination of homosexuals whether it is all male, all female or straight.
- The expression is often used to address a group which the speaker knows is composed entirely of females.
- Unlike y'all or the French vous, you girls is typically said only once in a short conversation, thereafter you is used. For example:
- I'm going to be on the outside baseball diamond at noon if you gals want to practice. You should bring some water because it's going to be hot.
- y'all (Southern, US, colloquial)
- you's, youse (New York, Australian, New Zealand; colloquial)
- you-uns (Rural, Midwestern or Appalachian; colloquial)
- you lot (UK; colloquial)