|Unicode name||CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER VE|
- 1 Translingual
- 2 Bulgarian
- 3 Macedonian
- 4 Russian
- 5 Serbo-Croatian
From early Cyrillic letter vědě.
в (lower case, upper case В)
- The 3rd letter of several Cyrillic alphabets.
- v (Latin alphabet)
- The third letter of the Bulgarian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is въ (vɤ) and it has the sound of English v. It is preceded by Б and followed by Г.
в • (v)
- going inside (of) or within the limits of, into, in, at, to
- влизам в стаята - to go into the room
- качвам се в колата - to get in the car
- пристигам в хотела - to arrive at the hotel
- against, especially with force or violence, into
- Колата се блъсна в дървото. - The car crashed into the tree.
- Не внимавах и се блъснах в стена. - I wasn't careful, and walked into a wall.
- used to indicate where something is or where something happens, in, at, on
- в стаята съм - to be in the room
- Срещнахме се в училище. - We met at school.
- пътувам в автобуса/метрото - to travel on the bus/tube
- used with certain time expressions to say when something happens, at, in, on, during
- в 8 часа - at 8 o'clock
- в петък - on Friday
- в 1988 - in 1988
- в деветнадесетия век - in/during the nineteenth century
- в това/същото време - at that/the same time
- в момента - at the moment
- в един миг - momentarily/in a moment
- в началото - in the beginning
- в началото на годината - at the beginning of the year
- used to indicate a change in state, to, into
- превръщам в камък - to turn into stone
- превръщам в пепел/прах/развалини - to reduce to ashes/powder/ruins
- превръщам километри в мили - to convert kilometres into miles
- used to indicate a state or condition, in, on
- в безсъзнание съм - to be in a dead faint/to be unconscious
- в движение - in motion/on the move
- в добро здравословно състояение - in good health
- в покой - in repose/at rest/motionless
- в кома - in a coma
- used to show how or in what way something is done, in, at
- плащам в долари/брой - to pay in dollars/cash
- меря в километри - to measure in kilometres
- марширувам в строй - to march in formation
- вървя в крак - to keep in step
- слушам в захлас - to listen in a daze
- в галоп/тръс - at a gallop/trot
- used to indicate the parts forming something, in
- роман в три части - a novel in three volumes
- филм в два епизода - a film in two episodes
- used to describe the clothes or the colour of something, in
- облечен в черно/черна риза - dressed in black/a black shirt
- стени, боядисани в синьо - walls painted blue
- used to indicate a sphere where a certain quality is present, at
- Той е много добър в професията си. - He is very good at his job.
In writing, във is used in front of words starting with в or ф and в is used elsewhere. In speech, в and във are used interchangeably. In writing and in speech, във is also used as a stressed form of в, even before words not beginning with в or ф, as in Тя е във къщата, а не отвън. - She is in the house, not outside. In verse, във can also be used in front of words not starting with в or ф in order to maintain the syllable structure of the line.
- The third letter of the Macedonian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is в (vɛ) and it has the sound of English v. It is preceded by Б and followed by Г.
- The third letter of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is вэ (vɛ) and it has the sound of English v. It is preceded by Б and followed by Г.
From Old East Slavic въ.
в, во (v, vo)
- (location) in, at, on (+ prepositional case)
- Он в театре (on v teátre) — He’s at (in) the theater.
- (direction) to, into (+ accusative case)
- (time) at, in, on
в (вольт, vol’t)
в (lower case, upper case В)
- The 3rd letter of the Serbo-Croatian Cyrillic alphabet.
Its name is в (vɛ) (old name: веди) and it has the sound of English v.