गण • (gaṇ) m
From गण् (gaṇ)
गण • (gaṇa) m
- a flock, troop, multitude, number, tribe, series, class (of animate or inanimate beings), body of followers or attendants.
- (Hinduism) troops or classes of inferior deities (especially certain troops of demi-gods considered as Shiva's attendants and under the special superintendence of the god Ganesha).
- a company, any assemblage or association of men formed for the attainment of the same aims.
- a small body of troops (= 3 गुल्मs or 27 chariots and as many elephants, 81 horses, and 135 foot).
- (astronomy) a series or group of asterisms or lunar mansions classed under three heads (that of the gods, that of the men, and that of the राक्षसs).
- (arithmetic) a number.
- (grammar) a series of roots or words following the same rule and called after the first word of the series (e.g. अद्-आदि, the g. अद् &c. or the whole series of roots of the 2nd class ; गर्गादि, the g. गर्ग &c. or the series of words commencing with गर्ग)