Jump to navigation Jump to search
From ちっと (chitto), itself a geminated emphatic form of Old Japanese ちと (chito), originally composed of ち (chi, “small”, not used in isolation; cognate with the chi in 小さい chīsai) + と (to, adverbial particle).
- slightly, a little, a bit, somewhat
- an indirect expression of refusal
- お茶とか飲みましょう。 ― Ocha toka nomimashō. ― Let's go have tea or something.
- ちょっと…… ― chotto…… ― well...
- Used to say that something is inconvenient for you when being invited to do something.