(Redirected from チャレンジする)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Tokyo) チャ ンジ[chàréꜜǹjì] (Nakadaka – )
- (Tokyo) レンジ[cháꜜrèǹjì] (Atamadaka – )
- IPA(key): [t͡ɕa̠ɾẽ̞ɲ̟d͡ʑi]
チャレンジ (rōmaji charenji)
- an attempt; an endeavor; striving
- 1988 July 30 [Dec 25 1983], Fujiko F. Fujio, “コマーさる [Monketing]”, in ひとりぼっちの宇宙戦争 [The One-Man Cosmic War] (藤子不二雄少年SF短編集; 1), volume 1 (fiction, in Japanese), 16th edition, Tokyo: Shogakukan, →ISBN, page 52:
- Ja, manga o yameru no?
- So, are you gonna quit making manga?
- Iya, saigo no charenji o kokoromiru‼
- No, I’m making one last attempt‼
- This word has shifted meaning from the English word challenge from which it came. It refers to challenging oneself, or taking on a challenge, rather than an attack on something. Therefore this word should be used when the speaker is taking on a new task, a new challenge. It is not to be translated literally as the verb challenge, or one will end up with sentences like "he is a challenging person" or "I will challenge tennis."