big; great; huge; large; major; wide; deep; oldest; eldest; doctor
cap (a poem); respond in singing; soft; warm; mix together; to blend; and; together with; with; peace; harmony; union
|simp. and trad.
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: 1||Grade: 3|
/yamato2/: [jamatə] → [jamato]. From older yamatai. Originally a geographical region in Nara, came to refer to all of Nara, and eventually to the country as a whole: Japan. The kanji used are jukujikun and thus do not correspond to the pronunciation 'Yamato.'
- the name of a town in the Shikinoshimo district in the Yamato Province of Japan; generally equivalent to modern Tenri area
- the name of a city in Kanagawa Prefecture
- name of one of the old provinces that made up Japan; generally equivalent to modern Nara prefecture
- Alternative name for the country of Japan
- A male given name
- A surname
- (Japan): 日本 (Nihon, Nippon)
- 奈良 (Nara)