at once; then; right away; only; (emphasis); to approach; to move towards; to undertake
is; are; am; yes; to be
|simp. and trad.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): zau6 si6
- Min Nan (POJ): chiū sī / tō sī / tiō sī
- Wu (Wiktionary): jjieu zr (T3)
- Min Nan
- even if (The verb of the following part of the sentence will be preceded by 也 (yě))
- (emphasis) just, really
- like, in the same way as
就是……也 (yě) is used to express "even if" in case of a hypothetical statement. This construction is the same as 即使 (jíshǐ)……也, 即便 (jíbiàn)……也, 縱使／纵使 (zòngshǐ)……也, 哪怕 (nǎpà)……也 and 就算 (jiùsuàn)……也. There are differences with the last two: 就算 gives a feeling that the hypothesis has little chance of being realized, while 哪怕 is stronger.
- it sure is!; exactly!
- to be precisely; to be none other than; it is ... that