See also: 东道主
to own; to host; master; lord; primary
- 若捨鄭以為東道主，行李之往來，共其乏困，君亦無所害。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- Ruò shě Zhèng yǐwéi dōngdàozhǔ, xínglǐ zhī wǎnglái, gòng qí fákùn, jūn yì wú suǒ hài. [Pinyin]
- If you would spare Zheng as a host of the eastern roads, we are willing to provide hospitability and aid to your eastbound diplomatic missions. There could be no harm to you in this.
若舍郑以为东道主，行李之往来，共其乏困，君亦无所害。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
Uttered by Zhu Zhiwu (燭之武), a Zheng courtier, during his negotiation with the Count Mu of Qin (秦穆公) who was laying siege to the state of Zheng. Later used idomatically as a generic term for a host.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): dung1 dou6 zyu2
- Min Nan (POJ): tong-tǒ͘-chú / tong-tō-chú
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)