Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: 东道主
to own; to host; master; lord; primary
- 若捨鄭以為東道主，行李之往來，共其乏困，君亦無所害。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- 若舍郑以为东道主，行李之往来，共其乏困，君亦无所害。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- Ruò shě Zhèng yǐwéi dōngdàozhǔ, xínglǐ zhī wǎnglái, gòng qí fákùn, jūn yì wú suǒ hài. [Pinyin]
- If you would spare Zheng as a host of the eastern roads, we are willing to provide hospitability and aid to your eastbound diplomatic missions. There could be no harm to you in this.
Uttered by Zhu Zhiwu (燭之武), a Zheng courtier, during his negotiation with the Count Mu of Qin (秦穆公) who was laying siege to the state of Zheng. Later used idomatically as a generic term for a host.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): dung1 dou6 zyu2
- Min Nan (POJ): tong-tǒ͘-chú / tong-tō-chú
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)