clear; distinct; complete; pure
clear; bright; to understand; next; the Ming dynasty
|simp. and trad.
From 清 (qīng, OC *sl̥eŋ, "(of water) clear, pure") and 明 (míng, OC *mraŋ, "bright"). Attested in Shijing ("(of governance) to be methodical, orderly"), Xunzi ("(of water) clear and bright"), Classic of Rites ("sober, calm"; "(of voice) clear"), Lost Book of Zhou ("(the date of) Qingming, from brightness, clearness of the scenery"), Guoyu ("southeasterly winds").
- Cantonese (Jyutping): cing1 ming4
- Hakka (Pha̍k-fa-sṳ): chhîn-mìn
- Min Nan (POJ): chheng-bêng / chhiⁿ-miâ
- Min Nan
- clear and bright
- sober and calm; (of a patient's mind): clear
- (of a government or administration) well ordered
- peaceful (times)
- Qingming ("Pure Brightness"), the fifth of the 24 solar terms in the Chinese lunisolar calendar, occurring from the 4th or 5th of April until the 18th or 19th
- Tomb Sweeping Day, the annual Chinese festival observed on the first day of Qingming