Variant of 眾, with bottom component ⿲人亻人 replaced by 乑 (similar to unrelated 衣 and 𠂢).
Current form is graphically 血 + 乑 (“crowd, multitude”) – bottom is originally 3 people, hence “crowd”, though top is unrelated to 血, being originally 罒 (“eye”).
The Kangxi dictionary lists 衆 as the unorthodox form (俗字) of 眾. However, 衆 is the preferred form used in Japanese kanji.
衆 (radical 143, 血+6, 12 strokes, cangjie input 竹廿竹竹人 (HTHHO) or 竹廿人竹人 (HTOHO), four-corner 27232, composition ⿱血乑)
- KangXi: page 1107, character 16
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 33981
- Dae Jaweon: page 1569, character 17
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 5, page 3051, character 14
- Unihan data for U+8846
(grade 6 “Kyōiku” kanji)
衆 (hiragana しゅう, rōmaji shū)
- mass; many people
衆 • (jung) (hangeul 중, revised jung, McCune–Reischauer chung, Yale cwung)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text