鴎 (radical 196, 鳥+4, 15 strokes, cangjie input 尸大竹日火 (SKHAF), composition ⿰区鳥)
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 1484, character 26
- Hanyu Da Zidian: not present, would follow volume 7, page 4618, character 7
- Unihan data for U+9D0E
Extended shinjitai, Asahi simplification form of 鷗.
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji, shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai form 鷗)
Uncertain. One theory suggests from 鴨 (kamo, “duck”) + め (-me, suffix expressing familitarity). (Can this(+) etymology be sourced?)
Compare 雀 (suzume, “sparrow”) and 燕 (tsubame, “swallow”).
鴎 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 鷗, hiragana かもめ, katakana カモメ, rōmaji kamome)
- common gull (Larus canus)
- (by extension) a seagull (any seabird of the family Laridae)
- As with many terms that name organisms, this term is often spelled in katakana, especially in biological contexts, as カモメ.
鴎 (shinjitai kanji, kyūjitai kanji 鷗, hiragana かもめ, rōmaji Kamome)
- A female given name
- A surname.