|Revised Romanization (translit.)?||eum|
Onomatopoeic; compare English hmm.
음 • (eum)
- hmm, umm, uh; indicating thinking or pondering, often with a sense of hesitation.
음, 맞는 말인 거 같아.
― Eum, manneun mar-in geo gata.
― Hmm, I think you're right.
음, 이건 좀 아니지 않아?
― Eum, igeon jom ani-ji ana?
― Uh, isn't this kind of wrong?
Sino-Korean word from 陰 (“the female principle yin”)
음 • (eum) (hanja 陰)
- yin, the essential female principle in eastern religion or philosophy
- Antonym: 양(陽) (yang)
- Hypernym: 음양(陰陽) (eumyang, “yin-yang”)
Sino-Korean word from 音 (“sound, tone, pitch, pronunciation”)
음 • (eum) (hanja 音)
- (formal) sound (in general)
- Synonym: 소리 (sori)
- (music) sound, tune
- (Chinese phonology) reading of a character
- Coordinate term: 훈(訓) (hun)
- 음 in Korean-English Learners' Dictionary, National Institute of Korean Language, cc by-sa 2.0 kr.