Jump to navigation Jump to search
- KangXi: page 136, character 10
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 1859
- Dae Jaweon: page 307, character 6
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 323, character 7
- Unihan data for U+5208
|simp. and trad.
- to mow; to cut; to weed
- From: The Classic of Poetry, c. 11th – 7th centuries BCE, translated based on James Legge's version
- Gě zhī tán xī, shī yú zhōnggǔ.
Wéi yè mòmò, shì yì shì huò.
Wèi chī wèi xì, fú zhī wúyì. [Pinyin]
- How the dolichos spread itself out, extending to the middle of the valley!
Its leaves were luxuriant and dense. I cut it and I boiled it,
And made both fine cloth and coarse, which I will wear without getting tired of it.
為絺為綌、服之無斁。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, trad.]
为𫄨为绤、服之无𭣧。 [Pre-Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (obsolete) crops that have been cut
- 一春違其農，二夏食其穀，三秋取其刈，四冬凍其葆。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Lost Book of Zhou, circa 4th – 1st centuries BCE
- Yī chūn wéi qí nóng, èr xià shí qí gǔ, sān qiū qǔ qí yì, sì dōng dòng qí bǎo. [Pinyin]
- First, in spring encircle their farmlands; second, in summer eat their provisions; third, in autumn seize their harvests / crops, in winter expose their stores.
一春违其农，二夏食其谷，三秋取其刈，四冬冻其葆。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (literary) sickle
- 時雨既至，挾其槍、刈、耨、鎛，以旦暮從事於田野。 [Classical Chinese, trad.]
- From: Guoyu, circa 4th century BCE
- Shíyǔ jì zhì, xié qí qiāng, yì, nòu, bó, yǐ dànmù cóngshì yú tiányě. [Pinyin]
- When the timely seasonal rain is just come, [they farmers] clasp their stakes, sickles, weeders, and hoes to work from dawn to dusk in the fields.
时雨既至，挟其枪、刈、耨、镈，以旦暮从事于田野。 [Classical Chinese, simp.]
- (literary) to kill; to chop; to lop
- (literary) to eradicate; to eliminate
- a surname
|For pronunciation and definitions of 刈 – see 割 (“to cut; to cut apart; to divide; to cut apart; to break up; to partition; to split; etc.”).|
(This character, 刈, is the second-round simplified form of 割.)
- 刈る (karu, “cut, mow, harvest”)
- 刈り込む (karikomu, “cut, dress, prune”)
- 刈り取る (karitoru, “mow, reap, harvest”)
- 刈り入れ (kariire, “harvest”)
- 刈り立て (karitate, “new mown, newly cut”)
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text