- Eye dialect spelling of help.
1921, Frederick O'Brien, Mystic Isles of the South Seas.:
- The blighter made a bit of a row, and said as 'ow he just could n't 'elp stowin' aw'y every boat for T'iti." "
1915, James Oliver Curwood, The Hunted Woman:
- But, so 'elp me God, the last name was FitzHugh!"
1909, W.W. Jacobs, Sailor's Knots (Entire Collection):
- Considering that she 'ad only just buried her 'usband, Rupert found her quite skittish enough, and he couldn't 'elp wondering wot she'd be like when she'd got over her grief a bit more.
1908, Charles Rann Kennedy, The Servant in the House:
- I'll be back to 'elp you in with the breakfast, Mr. Manson.