Jump to navigation Jump to search
- -el, -l (chiefly dialectal)
- -le (chiefly dialectal)
- -li (in Swiss)
- -lin (chiefly Early New High German)
- -elein (chiefly in poetry)
- suffix used to create a diminutive form; e.g., Kind → Kindlein
- In modern Standard German -lein is less common than, and often replaced by, -chen.
- The plural generally remains unchanged as it does with diminutives in -chen. A few nouns with a plural in -er may carry the same ending over to the plural diminutive. This is common with Kindlein → Kinderlein (and equally Kindchen → Kinderchen); otherwise it is rare. A few nouns referring to people allow a plural in -s. This is common with Fräulein → Fräuleins; otherwise it is, again, rare.