- Abbreviation of .
APP (plural APPs)
- (nonstandard, common in China) Alternative form of
- 2014, “World Cup to live on APP in China”, in Xinhua:
- World Cup to live on APP in China
- China's Central Television, jointly with the digital firm of Ali Cloud, Tuesday released the unique APP product that is authorized to broadcast the World Cup live. Besides TV and web, APP on mobile devices has become the 3rd platform to watch the tournament live.
- 2017, Renée Salmonsen, “The Dalai Lama launches free APP”, in Taiwan News:
- The Dalai Lama launches free APP
- 2018, “China to foster 300,000 industrial Internet APPs by 2020, ministry”, in Xinhua:
- China to foster 300,000 industrial Internet APPs by 2020, ministry
- China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) has recently released a plan to foster 300,000 industrial Internet APPs for specific industries and specific scenarios by 2020, meeting key demands in the key links of the manufacturing industry, including R&D and design, manufacturing, operations, maintenance and operations management.
This abbreviation is commonly code-mixed into the various Chinese languages spoken in Mainland China and nearby regions, where it is not pronounced as a single syllable but is instead pronounced letter by letter (/eɪ-pi-pi/) in the manner that acronyms are normally read in English, as is typical of short English words code-mixed into Chinese.
- (countable, biochemistry, immunology) Initialism of .
- (countable, biochemistry, medicine) Initialism of .
- (uncountable) Initialism of .
- (computing, mobile telephony, Mainland China) app (Classifier: 個／个; 款)
- 以前你是不是也為了找個APP來提醒你，而四處下載，還浪費不少冤枉錢？ [MSC, trad.]
- From: 2011, 許明元, iPhone 4S無禁忌活用術 X iOS 5升級即戰力, page 60
- Yǐqián nǐ shìbùshì yě wèi le zhǎo ge APP lái tíxǐng nǐ, ér sìchù xiàzǎi, hái làngfèi bùshào yuānwǎngqián? [Pinyin]
- Before, were you looking for an app that would give you reminders, and were you downloading all sorts of apps and wasting a lot of money for no good reason?
以前你是不是也为了找个APP来提醒你，而四处下载，还浪费不少冤枉钱？ [MSC, simp.]
- 它封禁中國APP有著眾所周知的兩大原因，一是以此就邊境衝突洩憤，二是通過打壓中國APP來給印度本土產品騰空間，行保護主義之實。 [MSC, trad.]
- From: 2021 January 27, 《要求印度赔偿 中国企业莫逆来顺受》, in Global Times, ISSN 2095-2678, issue 5276, page 15
- Tā fēngjìn Zhōngguó APP yǒuzhe zhòngsuǒzhōuzhī de liǎng dà yuányīn, yī shì yǐ cǐ jiù biānjìng chōngtū xièfèn, èr shì tōngguò dǎyā Zhōngguó APP lái gěi Yìndù běntǔ chǎnpǐn téng kōngjiān, xíng bǎohù zhǔyì zhī shí. [Pinyin]
- (please add an English translation of this example)
它封禁中国APP有着众所周知的两大原因，一是以此就边境冲突泄愤，二是通过打压中国APP来给印度本土产品腾空间，行保护主义之实。 [MSC, simp.]
Chinese language users often consider 'APP' and other phrases which are written only in letters from the Roman alphabet and not rendered into Chinese characters to be English language words rather than loan words.