Jump to navigation Jump to search
Acronym of absent without official leave, originally used in the United States military.
AWOL (not comparable)
- (originally military) Absent without official leave (permission).
- The Army had a lot of AWOL soldiers.
absent without permission
AWOL (plural AWOLs)
- (military) Absence without proper authority from the properly appointed place of duty, or from unit, organization, or other place of duty at which one is required to be at the time prescribed.
- (military) A person who holds AWOL status.
- (by extension) Somebody who is absent without permission.
- (figuratively) Someone or something missing.
- (departure from military duty without permission): French leave; UA (“unauthorized absence”)
- (other departure without permission): French leave; no-call-no-show (chiefly business)
generic: one who is absent without permission
figuratively: someone or something missing