Appendix:List of Proto-Indo-European roots
The following is a list of Proto-Indo-European roots, given with their basic meaning and notable cognates in Indo-European languages. Note that there is some debate among scholars on whether certain roots belong to PIE or not.
Note that only roots are listed here; see Appendix:List of Proto-Indo-European nouns for nominal stems. See also w:Proto-Indo-European pronoun, w:Proto-Indo-European particle and w:Proto-Indo-European numerals.
Languages with abbreviations
- Alb.: Albanian (Tosk/Gheg)
- Hitt. Hittite
- Arm.: Old Armenian
- Gk.: Greek (Ancient Greek/Modern Greek)
- XMK: Ancient Macedonian
- Illyr.: Illyrian
- Calvert Watkins, The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European roots: Second Edition, Houghton Mifflin, September 14, 2000 - →ISBN
- Carl Darling Buck, A dictionary of selected synonyms in the principal Indo-European languages: A contribution to the history of ideas, reprint edition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1988  - →ISBN
- Julius Pokorny, Indogermanisches Etymologisches Wörterbuch (1959).
- Rix et al., Lexikon der Indogermanischen Verben (1998, 2001).