Appendix:Terms for the United States of America
The nation-state officially named the United States of America is also known by a number of shorter terms:
- America (ambiguous, sometimes referring to the Americas or the entire Western Hemisphere)
- Amerika (pejorative)
- Brother Jonathan
- The fruited plain (from Katharine Lee Bates' song, America the Beautiful.
- Stars and Stripes
- The States (sometimes referring to only the Lower 48)
- The Union
- Stateside (sometimes referring to only the Lower 48)
- Uncle Sam
- United States
- US, U.S., USA, U.S.A.
- Washington (synecdoche)
- Yankeeland or Yanquiland (pejorative)