Bank of England
- The central bank of the United Kingdom.
- The building in Threadneedle Street that houses it.
- The organisation which controls this bank.
- I am an employee of the Bank of England.
- 1857 John Ramsay McCulloch - A Select Collection of Scarce and Valuable Tracts and Other Publications, on ... - Page 31
- It is this which keeps a country bank note always of the same value as a Bank of England note.
- 1851, Herman Melville Moby-Dick, Or, The Whale, 2003 ed., page 387
- Don't ye love sperm? There goes three thousand dollars, men! — a bank! — a whole bank! The bank of England!
- 1892, Mart Twain, The American Claimant
- Because I have got a private project that requires a Bank of England at its back. How could you divine that?
- 1903, Henry James, "A Passionate Pilgrim", in A Passionate Pilgrim, and Other Tales, page 9
- On the floor was a Turkey carpet, — as old as the mahogany, almost, as the Bank of England, as the Queen, — into which the waiter in his lonely revolutions had trodden so many massive sootflakes and drops of overflowing beer, that the glowing looms of Smyrna would certainly not have recognized it.
- 1927, Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse, page 5
- [...] for there was in all their minds a mute questioning of deference and chivalry, of the Bank of England and the Indian Empire, of ringed fingers and lace, [....]
- 1936, Karel Čapek, War with the Newts, page 195
- Hitherto the British islander has been anxiously watching the skies, the only direction from where he thought disaster might come to his flourishing cities, to his Bank of England or to his peaceful cottages, snug under their perpetual green cover of ivy.
- 1994, Ralph Moody, Horse of a Different Color: Reminiscences of a Kansas Drover, page 95
- We're putting in enough new capital to make this little bank as strong as The Bank of England."
- 2003, Stephen Coonts, Liberty, page 26
- The Walney's Bank building in the heart of Cairo was a small replica of the Bank of England building in London, and in that setting it jarred the eye.
central bank of the United Kingdom
building in Threadneedle Street
organisation which controls the bank of United Kingdom
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.