Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A fictional female entertainer introduced in 1930s cartoons, characterized by a high-pitched singing and speaking voice, short and curly black hair, and sexually provocative clothing, mannerisms, and facial expressions.
1997, David Howard Day, A Treasure Hard to Attain: Images of Archaeology in Popular Film, page 89:
- A feminist she is not, and we see her with many a Betty Boop look of horror as her two loutish pals make matchsticks out of every piece of barroom furniture in sight.
2002, Catherine Orenstein, Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale, page 192:
- He sits astride a motorcycle and fingers the hem of a bright red dress worn by a pert, blonde, cherry-lipped model. Her mouth is open in a Betty Boop "ooh."
2005, Stephanie Lehmann, Are You in the Mood?, page 188:
- She had straight black hair with a Betty Boop bob cut and ruby red sweetheart lips.
2007, James Fitzgerald, The Joys of Smoking Cigarettes, page 22:
- Betty: Shall we? (Her voice has now assumed a Betty Boop pitch.)
2010, Marisa Meltzer, Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music, page 75:
- Thirty years old when the song came out, Lauper was playacting at being a girl — and the ultimate girl, at that — with her Betty Boop voice and crazy dress-up outfits.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:Betty Boop.
the fictional character