From Biafra + -an. The "skinny" sense is in reference to the images of extremely skinny Biafran refugees from the Nigerian Civil War that appeared plentifully in English-language media in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Of, from or relating to Biafra.
- (derogatory) Extremely skinny.
2006, Stephen P. Kiernan, Last Rights: Rescuing the End of Life from the Medical System:
- "He looked Biafran, he looked HIV-positive," Suzanne said, "Contrary to what the doctors were worried about, I believe those kids were keeping him alive."
2007, Wendy Rawlings, The Agnostics, page 111:
- She was truly skinny now and in this defenseless. She had surpassed fashionable and veered into unhealth. She looked Biafran; her eyes seemed to bulge out of her head.
2010, Animal Kingdom, 1:42:08 from the start:
- You want food? You look Biafran.
of, from or relating to Biafra
Biafran (plural Biafrans)
- A native or inhabitant of Biafra.