Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (chiefly soccer and Teesside) The town of Middlesbrough, and more specifically Middlesbrough FC football club.
1999, Stuart Barnes, “Boro's form keeps failing”, The Guardian:
- They created the better chances while Boro, looking every inch a troubled team, rarely looked like avoiding a third successive goalless home draw.
2009, Ian Waterstone, Live Through the Dream: The Epic Journey Depicting Hull City's First Ever Season in the Top Flight of English Football, ISBN 1449027555, page 124:
- If, however, Boro let their guard slip, you can bet the Tigers will tear their guests for the day to shreds. In not one game this season have City sat back. Against Middlesbrough it will surely be no different.
2009, Caspar Llewellyn Smith, “A night out with the young bard of Boro”, The Guardian:
- Last week, the man from the local paper told the 24-year-old author that in years to come the "Linny", as the pub is known, will feature prominently on "Richard Milward Tours" of Boro.
- (soccer) Stevenage Football Club, a football team from Stevenage formerly known as Stevenage Borough Football Club
2012 May 11, Chris Osborne, “Stevenage 0-0 Sheff Utd”, BBC Sport:
- Craig Reid struck the United woodwork, while Boro goalkeeper Chris Day had to tip over a header from his own midfielder Michael Bostwick.