Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hyphenation: kav‧oh‧kay 
- (aviation) Acronym of ., a weather status report for pilots when visibility is at least 10 kilometres, there are no clouds below 5000 feet or minimum sector altitude (whichever is higher), there are no cumulonimbus or towering cumulus in the vicinity, and there is no current or forecast significant weather such as precipitation.
- When appropriate, this term can be used in ATIS broadcasts in lieu of detailed weather information.
- "CAVOK" may appear within METAR format weather report strings in place of the standard "Visibility Group (VVVVVSM)" as defined in Section 12.6.6 of the US "Federal Meteorological Handbook No. 1" (September 2005).
- ^ Transport Canada (2017 H2), “1.4: USE OF TERM “CAVOk””, in Aeronautical Information Manual: “The term “CAVOK” (KAV-OH-KAY) may be used in air- ground communications when transmitting meteorological information to arriving aircraft.”
- ICAO, The Reporting of Clouds and Visibility and Use of the Term CAVOK
- UK Met Office, Aviation: List of abbreviations