Category talk:en:Gourds and allies
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Best I could think of. Any suggestions? Chuck Entz (talk) 14:19, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, but feel free to discuss its conclusions.
- I've been struggling to come up with category names that are both understandable to non-botanists and correspond to reality. I'm open to suggestions (of course, even if I weren't, one doesn't own things on a wiki, anyway). Chuck Entz (talk) 14:50, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Allies reminds me a bit of Victorian naturalists sorting their specimens plundered from all over the Empire. It is brief, but something like "related plants" makes even fewer assumptions about users. DCDuring TALK 14:26, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
- I've been changing all of my "... and allies" categories to "... family plants" (in most cases, I'm the only one who's ever used them, and for the rest there were only one or two others, whom I notified directly). This is the final holdout. Does anyone object to changing this to Category:en:Gourd family plants? I realize that it would probably be more correct with a hyphen, but I didn't think about that until I had done a number of them. To keep it consistent would necessitate changing at least a couple-dozen categories and over a thousand entries, so I would prefer to leave the hyphens out. Chuck Entz (talk) 01:08, 12 July 2015 (UTC)
- No objection to changing "allies" to "family plants". As for the hyphen: that could be added by a bot if necessary. - -sche (discuss) 01:40, 12 July 2015 (UTC)