Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Chipewyan (plural Chipewyans or Chipewyan)
- A member of a Native American tribe of Central Canada, in the regions of Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, and Saskatchewan.
- The Northern Athabascan language spoken by this tribe.
Many Chipewyan consider this term derogatory, as it does not originate from Dene, but is a name provided by their historical enemies.
- Athabaskan languages on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Northern Athabaskan languages on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Na-Dené languages on Wikipedia.Wikipedia