Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
English citations of bewry
- 1500, Le Bone Florence of Rome:
- They dud wyth hym as wyth þe dedd; They beryed hym in a ryall stedd.
- 1589-1600, Richard Hakluyt, The Principal Navigations, Voiages, Traffiques and Discoueries of the English Nation:
- They bewry not vp their asshes in pottes dasshed full of pearle and precious stone.
- 1891, Ezekiel Sanford, A history of the United States before the Revolution, page 275:
- Isaiah xvi. 3, 4. 'Take council, execute judgment, make they shadow as the night in the midst of the noon-day; hide the out-casts, bewry not him that wandereth.'
- (Can we date this quote?), Sir Ferumbras, republished in 1848 by George Ellis in Specimens of early English metrical romances, page 392:
- "Go there," said said; "the devil three speed!
- My counsel shalt thou never bewry:1
- Whoso will not help a man at need,
- An evil death mote he die!"
- 1 Betray.