Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A female given name from French.
- 1887, Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch, Dead Man's Rock., BiblioBazaar,LLC, published 2007, →ISBN, page 198:
- "I told you I was called ,or that they called me Claire. Were you not surprised when you saw my name as Clarissa Lambert?"
"Is that all?" I cried. "Why of course, I knew how common it is for actresses to take another name. I was even glad of it; for the name I know, your own name, is now a secret, and all the sweeter so. All the world admires Clarissa Lambert, but I alone love Claire Luttrell, and know that Claire Luttrell loves me."
- 2006, Wendy Harmer, Farewell My Ovaries, Allen&Unwin, →ISBN, page 93:
- A woman named Claire should be able to describe the moon. Clair de Lune was of course one of Claire's favourite pieces of piano music.
- A male given name transferred from the surname, of rare usage, variant of Clare.
- 1991, Amy Tan, The Kitchen God's Wife, Ivy Books, →ISBN, page 203:
- When we arrived in Hangchow, all the pilots were honored at a big banquet given by that famous American general with a lady's name, Claire Chennault.
female given name — see Clara
- a female given name