Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A female given name.
- When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
- 2009, Anne Tyler, Noah's Compass, Vintage (ISBN 9780099539582), pages 109-110:
- "Eunice," he said consideringly.
- She paused in the midst of licking a dab of frosting off one finger.
- "Properly speaking," he said, "it should be 'You-nike-ee'. That's the way Greeks would have said it."
- "You-niss is bad enough," she told him. "I've always hated my name."
- "Oh, it's a fine name. It means 'victorious'."
- A city in Louisiana
- A city in New Mexico
female given name
- ^ Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges: A Concise Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Press 2001.