An edit summary allows you to give a brief description of the changes you have made to the page. They should be used for every edit, except when creating a new entry, as they are exceedingly useful. (Do not use them when creating a new page: the software will fill in a useful edit summary automatically.) They are limited by the software to 255 characters.
Edit summaries help …
- … those who are looking at a page's to work out how the page has changed over time.
- … people who have the page Watchlisted to see whether they are interested in your change.
- … anyone watching recent changes to get an impression of what sort of edits are going on.
A good edit summary …
- … contains a brief description of all the changes that were made.
- … may include a brief reason for making the edit.
- … does not include excessive justification for the edit.
Abbreviations used in edit summaries include …
- … ISO 639-1 or ISO 639-2 language codes.
- … the name of any templates used.
- … any abbreviation listed at Wiktionary:Glossary or Appendix:Glossary.
- … and …